Monday, February 8, 2010

Exploring Extremes

This is the how the moon looks at the North Pole, ain't it beautiful?
Roald Amundsen's team was the first to reach the South pole, which they did on December 14, 1911. A couple of years before that, on September 5, 1909, Robert Peary said that he had reached the North Pole, but it's disputed if he actually did or not. Mallory and Irvine were two climbers who attempted to summit Mt. Everest and may or may not have reached the top, they were seen very close to it then lost from sight and either died on their way back down or died before reaching the top, nooobody knows. On May 29, 1953 Sir Edmund Percival Hillary completed the journey fosho:)



There are sooo so many people that like doing extreme things like climbing everest, I can't fathom why though. I suppose they do it for the adrenaline or maybe they want credit for being bada_ _? It seems like more guys like doing those kinds of things, maybe they're trying to prove how man they are. From the articles I read, the country of which the mountain climbers came from is always mentioned and most of them talked about "the race" of being the first to the poles and the top of Everest, which to me shows that this thing was country-competition and probably very nationalistic. I would never throw my life away for a sport or fame or anything like that, but I don't think that too many people are counting on losing they're lives, they're just doing something they love. That would be the only way to do something so physically hard, but it's really not worth losing a life over to me. Maybe if I was old already or something and I didn't have very much time left, it could be one of those "I've always wanted to...." things.

No comments:

Post a Comment